Building 19, Springfield Technical Community College
Project Location: Springfield, MA
Recently renovated Building 19 is the centerpiece of STCC’s vibrant new Student Learning Commons and boasts of 552 SCW3000 Series fixed frame windows, with openings ranging from 10×7 to 10×13 foot and with no two windows exactly alike.
St. Cloud Window worked closely with the architect, the National Park Service, and the Massachusetts Historical Commission on the development of Building 19’s fenestration, which comprises nearly 50% of the façade, to enclose the building while providing natural daylight and views.
Building 19, a 767 ft. long three-story former armory storehouse, is just one of 13 National Historic Registered buildings on the STCC campus.
• LEED Silver
• Preservation Massachusetts’ Robert H. Kuehn Award, recognizing extraordinary projects that meld collaborative partnerships with creative and cutting-edge ideas for the rehabilitation and active reuse of historic buildings.
• SCUP Excellence in Architecture Honorable Mention Award, recognizing projects that most clearly convey how well-conceived planning strategies can be implemented through successful collaboration between planners, architects, landscape architects, and college/university faculty, students, and staff.
• 2021 Citation Award from AIA New England for the Ira H. Rubenzahl Student Learning Commons adaptive reuse project on the historic campus.
• 2021 Boston Society for Architecture Higher Education Facilities Design Award, Adaptive Reuse Project
Related NEWS posts:
• SCW3000 Windows Transform Historic Armory into Student Center, January 15, 2019
• Historic Armory Transformed into Student Center with SCW3000 Series Windows Earns Preservation Massachusetts Robert H. Kuehn Award, April 18, 2019
• Education: Student Learning Commons, Springfield Technical Community College, Retrofit publication, September 2019
• Student Learning Commons at Springfield Technical Community College by Ann Beha Architects, Architectural Record publication, November 2019
Grand Opening Video: